Sunday 21 July 2013

Eyeshadow bases - Tried & tested



I have been obsessed with eyeshadow bases recently so here are review of the ones I have tried with swatches of them alone and with an eyeshadow on top.

I tried 
Max factor masterpiece in icicle blue and icicle rose £6.99 each at boots

Wet n wild usa cream eyeshadow in pink 99p ebay.com

Dainty doll by Nicola Roberts eyeshadow base in shade 001 £1 poundland

MAC pro longwear paint pot in shade vintage selection £14.50 mac.com 

From wrist: max factor, wet n wild, mac, max factor, dainty doll

 Verdict
The max factor and wet n wild and elf have a similar formula and are very moist, the mac is very creamy and the dainty doll is only very slightly moist, it has an almost clay like texture that dries instantly.

The mac can be applied with fingers or a brush but I prefer fingers as you loose product by using a brush, and its expensive. 

The max factor and elf have inbuilt applicators which are similar to a concealer wand. 

My least favourite is the dainty doll. I find it dry and difficult to blend. The colour payoff is good but that's really the only positive I can find. 

The wet n wild is highly pigmented, cheap and a nice shade, on the downside the formula is a little bit too runny and takes a while to dry. It hasn't got the best staying power but its decent for a cheap option and gives the eyeshadow you choose to apply over it good colour payoff.

The elf is completely sheer so it was pointless swatching it but I've used it a lot and it does help eyeshadows to stay on longer, and the formula is nice. It helps with eyeshadow colour payoff. Cheap and cheerful and does a decent job.

The MAC paintpot offers multi dimensional colour and can be worn alone not just as a base, it goes on as a cream and gives you time to apply eyeshadows on top but once it dries it does not budge. At all. It's so longlasting that I fell asleep in my makeup after a party and when I got up the next morning it was still perfect! The only downside to this product is price because it costs a lot of money but in this case I do think its worth it and I will be buying it in more shades.

The max factor masterpiece really shocked me, it's level pegging with the mac in terms of it could be worn alone the pigmentation is so strong. It has lovely shimmery undertones. It's reasonably priced, very hard wearing and  makes your eyeshadows look 100% brighter. 

Based on this the max factor masterpiece is the eyeshadow base I would recommend. They are available in a range of shades in boots for £6.99 so snap some up! 

Here are the bases with similar coloured eyeshadows layered on top 


How beautiful is the blue? 

The eyeshadow palette I used was the MUA Dusk til Dawn and I used shade 6 for icicle rose max factor, wet n wild and mac, shade 10 for icicle blue max factor and shade 4 for dainty doll.



I hope you found my review helpful 

Take care, love Helen

Www.youtube.com/beautyandhelen 

No comments:

Post a Comment