Friday 22 November 2013

Face Primer Wars - High Street & High End

I'm somebody that rarely commits to one product or brand, I like to play the field when it comes to cosmetics and try out anything and everything until I find the holy grail. For me its a hobby, its fun and its rewarding. So here are the primers I have road tested, and what i thought of each.

For high street to high end (Price lowest to highest)


1. NYC Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer - Superdrug £3.49


CLAIMS: to extend the wear of foundation, minimize imperfections and to smooth and moisturise the skin

MY REVIEW: This primer is actually very decent for the price, it is a white cream, it does leave skin feeling smoother and softer and does illuminate the skin due to its slightly shimmery appearance. It has no scent, dries quickly and makes foundation application smoother and easier. For a basic drugstore product I think it is well worth the money. Would I repurchase? Yes. In a heartbeat. 

2.Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer Superdrug £6.99



CLAIMS: 5 in 1. Smooths, Perfects, protects,brightens, mattifies and resurfaces

MY REVIEW: This product is another white cream, it claims big things, and for the most part it delivers. The skin feels amazing after use, it does minimize pores and imperfections, it is slightly illuminating and shimmery so it does brighten and obviously any layer of cream on the skin will protect it to an extent - the resurfacing claim is a little far fetched but it does give you a nicer smoother base to work with, so I'll overlook the big claim. My only issue with this product was that I was allergic to it. That's not the products fault - its just unfortunate. The product itself worked in perfect harmony with my skin - my problem was the scent. It makes my eyes run, makes me sneeze and just generally caused a 'heyfever' type reaction. Would I repurchase it: NO  - but if they released a fragrance free version - then YES. 


3. Salma Hayek Smooth Start Smooth Skin Primer $10 CVS (USA only)


CLAIMS: To diminish the appearance of pores and fine lines and enhance makeup wear

MY REVIEW: WOW! this is a wonder product, I cannot honestly recommend it highly enough! unlike the previous 2 primers I have mentioned, this is a gel like formula, It is almost like vaseline but less greasy. It is a light beige colour. It glides on, feels super soft and hides a multitude of sins. Would I repurchase? YES! by the bucket!


4. MAC Prep + Prime Skin £20.50 MAC Cosmetics website




CLAIMS: To calm and soothe the skin, blot excess oil and even out skintone. Improve application of foundations.

MY REVIEW: Like the cheaper dugstore primers this is a white cream with a fair amount of shimmer which illuminates the skin. It is very light and non greasy, almost a little too 'watery' for my liking. super soft to touch and definitely good at its blotting claim, so if you have oily skin I would highly recommend this primer. It provides a perfect base to apply foundation on top of.  Exactly what I would expect from MAC. Would I repurchase? NO because I don't have oily skin so its not ideal for me. I would try a different MAC primer more suited to my skin type though.



5. Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer £22.50 Estee Lauder website


Claims: To mattify skin, control oils and shine, even out skintone, minimise pores, calm and smooth

MY REVIEW: Given that MAC & Estee Lauder and one in the same it doesn't surprise me that this primer is similar to the MAC one, only this feels slightly thicker and less watery - therefore BETTER. No noticeable scent, definitely does mattify the skin and smooths to incredible levels, evens out the surface and generally delivers what it claims. Would I repurchase? Maybe, but its a little bit pricey!


6. Benefit The Porefessional £24.50 Benefit website


Claims: Minimize appearance of pores and fine lines, smooth and even out skin, Improve application of foundation.

MY REVIEW: For me, this is the best of the best. I do not think there is a better primer out there, I do not have problem pores or any issues with fine lines yet i LOVE this as a primer. It is somewhere between a gel and a cream and nude beige in colour (VERY similar to Nuance by Salma Hayek) Probably best described as a "balm." It really does smooth, mattify and even out the skin. It has to be felt to be believed. My skin feels like velvet after application. Would I repurchase? Despite its high price tag - YES, A little goes a really long way. 


In summary, I'd  move heaven and earth to get your hands on the NUANCE primer by Salma Hayek because for me it is the closest dupe to the best, which is Benefit's Porefessional :) There really isn't much in these two despite Benefit being $20 (£15) more expensive!

I really hope you found this review useful and I look forward to reading your comments and opinions.

Helen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment